Thursday, August 4, 2011

Closed and Protected

That's how I've been living my life these days. It's safer. There is no risk of rejection. No chance of being hurt. It's a lonely place to be.

I've spent a lot of time trying to lose weight. I know all about dieting. I know what foods to eat, what foods to avoid. I know that exercise is key. But even when I lose a few pounds, I still feel like I'm in the "swampland of the soul." That's a phrase from The Gifts of Imperfection by Brené Brown, Ph.D., LMSW. I just got my copy and can't wait to get into it. I'm hoping to learn how live a wholehearted life. 


It's time to stop trying to be everything to everyone. I need to stop looking for acceptance from others. I'm tired of trying to change myself to "fit in." I want to be enough and believe it. This may be a long journey, but I feel like it's going to be worth it.


Photo: taken in Venice a few years ago

7 comments:

  1. Definitely Worth It! You are definitely worth it.

    Enjoy your read. Let me know how you like it?

    Much Love Tena.
    xo

    {btw. The time will pass whether you do the work or not...Much better to go for it I think...}

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore Brene Brown.
    I hope you do as well.

    MizFit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't you just love her? I do. She seems to be exactly what she preaches - authentic. Her you tube videos are on regular rotation around here.

    I'm cheering for you to have the life that pleases you - you are too fabulous a woman to stay closed and protected.

    We can paddle this kayak together :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep. You can only be the best you that you can be. And you can't let your happiness depend on other people. Lessons I'm slowly learning too.

    Be happy. Life is good. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you gain some knowledge from the writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Learning all the way to happiness!
    That about sums it up for me, too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Miss you - just saying hi!
    :)

    ReplyDelete