Thursday, October 21, 2010

It's about...healthy.

Yesterday at work, we had our health screening. Our insurance company offers to waive the $100 pharmacy deductible if we do the screening which amounts to your basic finger-stick and then a little machine tells you if you're healthy or not. They also measure your weight and your waist and tell you what THAT means in regards to what kind of risk you might be. I like doing this every year because it kind of gives you a chance to see that it's time to shit or get off the pot get back on track.

Some of my numbers improved, some not so much. Cholesterol was 196, HDL 39, Triglycerides 179, LDL 121, and blood sugar 97 (fasting). I don't know if the numbers improved because I was more active this year or if it's because I've been eating whatever I want. Last year I had been dieting strictly and I was 15 lbs lighter but my HDL and LDL were really bad. I'm sure it's because I've been more active. I'm just glad that my blood sugar is still in the normal range.

I think I've been a boring blog lately. I'm sorry for that. It looks like a couple of  "followers" have split and that makes me a little sad. I know that shouldn't bother me, but when I blogged often, I looked forward to the comments. It's nice to have that input and I miss it. I read a lot of blogs and I don't always comment either. I will try to work that.

Janell, thanks for reminding me to not give up on healthy. That is what it's really all about, isn't it?

3 comments:

  1. Yes. It's about healthy - not skinny. Skinny may mean spiffy clothing options, but healthy means the ability to move, to enjoy, and to live a long, long time. I'll choose healthy every time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gee Tena!
    You scared me.
    I came to see you and I was told I wasn't invited to your party! ;) Heh.
    Love the new look...I think the space is more "You" now...I love seeing your reads and Flickr linked...
    My followers have been going up and down too...I think it is due to the sheer number of blogs out there...Nothing personal I'm sure.
    I am starting to rein in the food consumption this week...I am putting on weight when this is usually the time of year that I lose it. Going to bed with Pirouline {do you get these yummy sticks of death down there?} doesn't help! I am glad to hear your numbers are better...Get healthier and better and HAPPIER every year!
    I've been thinking of you even though I've been absent. Wondering about how you are...
    xo
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  3. bah! I'm a terrible blogging buddy and I'm sorry.

    You're not boring! I saw a sign up for the MS big bike ride - Houston to Austin (I think its MS...) and thought about you yesterday.

    I still want to get some bikes and get out there. Maybe will have to wait until the spring. I'm still doing my walks though. Now that the weather is less humid and hellish!!

    T

    ReplyDelete