Monday, June 8, 2009

Nah, Not Today.


I was going to weigh myself this morning and decided against it. Last Monday I re-committed to eating better and LESS, and exercising more and for the most part, the week went well. This weekend my eating was a little sporadic.

I cleaned house Saturday and then went to Whole Foods to shop a little. I make careful selections there, but still I feel at a loss as to how many calories are in some of the dishes. I bought some quinoa that had chunks of sweet potato and fresh chopped spinach, tofu kung poa, broccoli crunch, and some roasted turkey to bring for lunch this week. It was all good and I thought I kept my portions in control.

Yesterday, however, I was craving a hamburger. So I googled local fare in search of a place to eat. We used to go to a place called Annie's, but hadn't been in a long time. After reading a few reviews, decided it was not where I wanted to eat. After a few more searches we decided on Roadster Grill. Wow! That place rocks! If you're in the Houston area, you must give them a try. The have two menus: American burgers and such, and Greek food. What a combo, huh? But it works. The building they are in used to be a Taco Bell years ago. Now they've painted it blue with a nice graphic on the side.

Of course, I had a burger, fries, and chocolate shake. Way too much food, but my full button must have been out of order. Went for a ride as soon as I got home so maybe I undid a little of the damage. Whatever, I'll eat right today, and weigh-in tomorrow. I enjoyed myself and now it's back to eating to lose.

My weightloss plan this time is not about being perfect. Too many times in the past I cut out eating certain foods and all I got was depressed. For whatever reason, it felt like I was being punished and that I couldn't "have" what everyone else was eating. I don't think that's a healthy way to think about food. I also don't think fries are "good" for you, but eating them once in awhile shouldn't mean you are a bad person.

I am just a normal person who is trying to change her lifestyle. It's going to take some time for all the new choices to become habit. And I think that with time, fries won't even be something I think I have to have.

Enjoy your day and drink an extra glass of water. Heck, throw in some lemon slices!

5 comments:

  1. There's a Greek restaurant in a nearby town here along the Delta (so the views are great) that serves GREAT burgers. So maybe there's something to the burger/Greek thing. Good luck with WI later this week. Totally agree about perfection (or lack thereof). :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I honestly don't understand the fascination with fries... I've never enjoyed them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Small steps are better than no steps. :)

    The last two times I went to Houston, I went to Pappas Burgers. Deee-lish! Plus, they let me sub salad for the fries. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really does take time for your taste buds to change I think. I use to love pizza, and if I ate it, I know I would like it, but I actually crave salmon more than pizza now! You are really doing great. Sometimes I think our bodies are telling us something, like "I need more protein" or "I need more iron" so there may be a very valid reason you were craving a hamburger...just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with you on the frustration of not knowing how many calories are in prepared foods - I really wish that WF would post the nutrition information for their prepared foods on their website or somewhere!

    I also love a good burger from time to time . . . glad you enjoyed yours!

    ReplyDelete